March – work zone safety
1. Work zones are starting to pop up across the state. The best thing you can do as a driver is slow down and pay attention when you pass through them. Expect the unexpected. More than 80 PennDOT employees have lost their lives in the line of duty since 1970. Let’s all get home safely. Get more work zone safety tips at JustDrivePA.com.
2. Each year when the weather improves, Pennsylvanians and travelers through the state can anticipate seeing many work zones. While PennDOT and its industry partners are busy improving the 40,000 miles of roadway and 25,000 bridges in its care, we urge motorists to keep safety in mind.
3. If you encounter our work zones, please keep the following tips in mind for your safety and the safety of highway workers.
• Drive the posted work-zone speed limit.
• Stay alert and pay close attention to signs and flaggers.
• Turn on your headlights if signs instruct you to do so.
• Maintain a safe distance around vehicles. Don’t tailgate.
• Use four-way flashers when stopped or traveling slowly.
• Avoid distractions and give your full attention to the road.
• Always buckle up.
• Expect the unexpected.
• Be patient.
For more information visit the Work Zone Safety page on www.JustDrivePA.com
Just Drive- Work Zone Smart